Green Economy and Sustainable Development
- Students will benefit from visiting Saint Petersburg, the cultural capital of Russia and being involved in the educational program delivered by ETU LETI, one of the leading educational and scientific centers in Russia
- Excellent academic teaching and facilities for practical classes, friendly atmosphere make ETU LETI the right place for international students.
- As part of this course, students will gain knowledge of the fundamentals of environmental engineering.
- The course offers an exciting fusion of skills and experience that could accelerate career.
Place of study: ETU "LETI", Department of Photonics, Department of Engineering Environmental Protection
Duration: 2 weeks
1st intake: 20 January – 02 February, 2020
Summer School: 6 July – 19 July, 2020
Outcome: ETU "LETI" certificate, 4 ECTS
Requirements: English language proficiency at a level not lower than Intermediate.
Deadlines for Summer Schools:
Deadlines for Winter Schools:
|includes training, excursion program, study materials, migration support.|
About the program
Envinronmental Engeneering Camp
The ecological situation in Russia definitely has a number of features.
The program in the quest form is aimed at acquainting students with some of the main environmental problems of the metropolis of St. Petersburg and ways to control and solve them.
During the program, students will receive a comprehensive theoretical base for the pollution of aquatic environments and methods of biotesting, will receive sampling skills and skills on the device "Biotester".
In the second module of the program, students will gain knowledge of radiation safety and master the skills of working with a dosimeter.
The program will be interesting both for environmentalists and environmental engineers, and for students who want to get to know the Amazing and multifaceted nature of Russia more closely.
- the main sources of water pollution in megacities.
- The concept of biotesting, ciliates, chemotaxis.
- biotesting technique.
- concept of radiation
- natural and anthropogenic sources of radiation
- radiation safety.
- use the methods of monitoring studies to assess the ecological state of the environment;
- analyze the environmental situation, identify the causes of environmental violations, make decisions on their elimination;
- research work with equipment
- environmental activities.
- ICT use (methods, methods and algorithms for collecting, storing, processing, presenting and transmitting information.)
The program involves the application and development of acquired knowledge and skills in practical classes.
Small group work, alternation of lectures and exercises, oral debates and presentations, essay preparation, laboratory research and structured modeling - all this is actively used to encourage students to deepen their knowledge, become familiar with new research techniques and decision methods, critical thinking .
Module 1 - Analysis of Pollution of the Baltic Ecosystem by Biotesting
This module includes:
The Baltic ecosystem has recently been subjected to a strong anthropogenic load. How to more accurately assess the damage inflicted on the flora and fauna of the unique North Sea, if not using a biotesting technique, which allows an integrated assessment of the toxic effects of human activity on the aquatic environment.
In this module, we will learn biotesting techniques, conduct sampling and study of the water of the main waterway of St. Petersburg - the Neva River - from the source to the mouth of the Gulf of Finland and assess St. Petersburg’s activities on the Baltic Sea ecosystem.
Module 2 - Greening the Economy: Sectors and Strategies
Lecture about steps and strategies for greening economy.
Business game: a reasonable balance between "ecology" and "economy" - moderate income and the preservation of nature instead of super-profits with the degradation of the natural environment. The balance works in the opposite direction - you also need to be able to earn!
Module 3 - Radiation Quest
This module includes:
On the territory of an abandoned country camp there are several natural sources that increase the natural background radiation. By measuring the values of the radiation background around them, you can get a code that reveals the secret of the peaceful atom. However, before getting into the camp and taking measurements, it is necessary, with the help of experienced radiation safety teachers, to prepare instructions for taking measurements, to study the precautions, and the reasons for their natural and anthropogenic appearance in human life.
Module 4 - Sustainable Development and Landscape Architecture.
Lecture about noise and light pollution in large cities.
Measurement of the level of noise and light pollution in St. Petersburg. identification of factors affecting light and noise pollution.
Case game. Creating the perfect metropolis according to the theory of sustainable development.
Maria S. Stepanova
International Students Office
|Mon.-Fri.: 10:00-17:00 (admission 10:00-16:30)|
|197376, Russian Federation, St. Petersburg, Professora Popova str., 5, building 3, 2nd floor (room 3243)|
|+7 (812) 234-35-53|