Postgraduate program ”Social Science” includes the direction 22.00.04 ”Social Structure, Social Institute and Social Process”. The direction is carried out at the Faculty of Humanities.
The field of professional activity of the graduate students includes research in social structure, social institutions and processes.
The objects of professional activity of the graduate students are:
- Theories that convey the nature of social processes and relations at various levels of social organization, social phenomena, patterns of social development, mechanisms of social change in the global space, in Russian society, countries, regions, social communities, spheres of public life social systems;
- Real social phenomena, relations, institutions and processes in global, regional and other socio-economic, socio-political and socio-cultural systems, social processes and structures at the macro and micro levels, social communities and social relations within and between these communities, their reflection in the public consciousness, as well as the results and ways of influencing social communities and social relations;
- Processes of social and scientific research, including the methodology, methods and tools for research, study and systematization information, developing models of the studied processes, phenomena and objects of professional activity, forecasting mechanisms, designing and optimizing social indicators, processes and relationships, developing a methodology for sociological analysis in accordance with the conditions, goals and objectives.
Graduate's types of professional activity are:
- Research activities in the field of theory, methodology and history of sociology, social structure, social institutions and processes, economic sociology and demography, management sociology, sociology of culture, spiritual life, political sociology;
- Teaching activities in higher education programs.
The program of postgraduate studies is aimed at harnessing all occupations for which the graduate is preparing.
Postgraduate study is a system for training highly qualified specialists of the new generation, competitive in the market of intellectual labor, with the skills of analytical, research and teaching activities. To apply for the postgraduate program candidate should hold master’s or specialist’s degree in the related field.
Russian higher education is divided into undergraduate (bachelor's), graduate (master's or specialist’s) and postgraduate (PhD) levels. Bachelor’s degree programs duration is 4 year, master’s degree program is 2 more years (6 years in total). Specialist’s programs are usually lasts for 5 or 5,5 years. Specialist’s degree is equated to bachelor’s + master’s degrees obtained.
Postgraduate programs’ duration is 4 years. At the beginning of the studies an individual training plan is drawn up. Postgraduate education includes research under the guidance of scientific supervisor. Therefore, for admission it is important to accurately determine the faculty and department, where you would like to continue your studies, to have a potential PhD supervisor and thesis abstracts.
During this time, it is necessary to have several scientific publications. Upon completion of the program and postgraduate exams, graduates receive the postgraduate diploma. After receiving a diploma you have the opportunity to become a Candidate of Sciences. It can be achieved by defending a thesis for the Candidate's Degree at the end of the studies.
International Students Office
|Mon.-Fri.: 10:00-17:00 (admission 10:00-16:30)|
|197022, Russian Federation, St. Petersburg, Professora Popova str., 5, building 3, 4th floor (room 3418)|
|+7 (812) 234-35-53|