Bioengineering Systems and Technologies of Rehabilitation and Prosthetics
The Bioengineering Systems and Technologies of Rehabilitation and Prosthetics master program prepares tomorrow’s engineers and scientists in medical rehabilitation. This M.Sc. program provides the knowledge and skills for designing, developing, and validating rehabilitation systems, including prostheses and orthoses, through practical projects.
Furthermore, the students are trained with modern technologies and systems for the examination and treatment assessment for disabled patients.
|Degree Program||12.04.04 Bioengineering Systems and Technologies|
|Language of instructions||English|
|Study mode||full time|
|Duration||2 years (4 semesters)|
|Faculty||Faculty of Information Measurement and Biotechnical Systems|
|Department||Department of Bioengineering Systems|
|Location||Professor Popov Street, building 5, St. Petersburg, Russia|
|Head of the educational program||Prof. Ludmila M.Smirnova|
|Program coordinator||M.Sc. Anagheem Ibrahim|
|Tuition fee per semester||115 000 ₽ | 1300 € | 1500 $|
Why students choose ETU "LETI"
ETU “LETI” is a university with deep historical roots that is famous for its fundamental approach to training. It was established in 1886 and became the first university in Europe to specialize in electrical engineering. Each student can reach out and touch history and even join it.
Go down your own personalized learning path, study in small groups of maximum 15 people (except for Computer Science programs), enjoy the support of your tutor and work directly your research supervisor. The university does all of that to help ETU “LETI” students achieve even the boldest dreams.
No matter what program you are enrolled at, you can take part in academic mobility and apply to double degree programs.
The ETU “LETI” campus is located in the center of Saint Petersburg near the Botanical Garden and Karpovka River Embankment. Many interesting sights are within walking distance. The metro station is 10 minutes away from the campus.
Each program invites overseas professors from world top-ranked universities to share experience and knowledge. These lecturers get engaged in the learning process by holding lectures, workshops and cases.
ETU “LETI” is included in the largest university rankings such as THE, QS, Forbes, The Three University Missions, RAEX, Webometrics, etc. It is also among the leaders in the subject rankings that correspond with its priority research areas. The university prides itself to being the best in graduate employment. 90% of all ETU “LETI” graduates are hired before receiving their degrees.
University researchers have several dozen patents registered every year. The university has 3 research institutes, 16 education and research schools and a Technopark. The Technopark is comprised of the Youth Innovation Center and Technopark Business Incubator.
Upon enrolling at ETU “LETI”, students realize that they are not alone. A team of tutors helps international students adapt and answers their questions. Our staff are in contacted with students almost 24/7 and are always ready to help.
The university considers all-round training of its students a top priority. We have 20 sports groups and 11 creative teams with professional educators at their helm for you to join and unlock your talents. You can also participate in competitions. Moreover, the university organizes theme parties, festivals, free city and suburb tours for its international students.
About the program
The program focuses on the formation of professional competencies and skills using modern technologies in biophysics, biomechanics, electronics, information technologies for the rehabilitation of lost functions of organs and systems in the human body and the development of systems and complexes to assess the effectiveness of medical rehabilitation of people with disabilities. In addition, students gain skills in developing and maintaining technical means of medical rehabilitation using modern rehabilitation technologies to improve the quality of life of people with disabilities.
- Methods of Computer Processing and Analysis of Medical and Biologicaln Data
- Biomechanics in Rehabilitation
- Microprocessors in Rehabilitation
- Design of Electronic and Mechanical Components in Rehabilitation Systems
- 3D Designing of Prosthetic Models
- Social Communication in Professional Environment
- Foreign language
- Automated Control in Rehabilitation Systems
- Automated Analysis of Images
- Modeling and Simulation of Rehabilitation Systems
- Modern problems of Biomedical Engineering
- Commercialization of Results of Scientific Research and Development
- Academic and Technical Language (Russian/English)
- Biotechnical Systems and Technologies
- Decision Support Systems in Bioengineering
- Biomaterials in Prosthetics and Rehabilitation
- Information Systems of Rehabilitation
- Interdisciplinary Project “Development of Rehabilitation Systems for Functional Damage of an Organism”
- Practice and Internships at Partner institutions
- Master Thesis Preparation and Defense
- Enhanced training and study of medical rehabilitation technologies,
- Methods for assessing the condition of rehabilitation and prosthetics facilities,
- Development of technical means of medical rehabilitation,
- Conducting scientific research on the development of methods and information and measurement systems for evaluating the effectiveness of rehabilitation of people.
- Biomechanical studies of the musculoskeletal system.
- Medical Systems (equipped with modern medical instruments).
- Computational Modeling of Biological and Bioengineering Systems.
- Electronics and Microprocessor Engineering.
- Display room (equipped with National Instruments workstations and visual programming tools).
- Mathematical Methods and Computer-Aided Systems for Processing and Analysis of Biomedical Data.
- Bioengineering Measurement Computing Systems.
- Human Health Assessment Methods and Systems.
- Students enroll at the branch department Medical Information and Bioengineering Systems, conduct research, attend practice-oriented classes at Almazov National Medical Research Center, Biomechanics Laboratory at Albrecht National Research Center for Prosthetics and Rehabilitation, and Children’s Research and Clinical Center for Infectious Diseases.
- Development of methods and systems for assessing the characteristics of the human musculoskeletal system, lower limbs.
- Development of methods and systems for assessing the functional state of organism’s systems.
- Development of technical means of medical rehabilitation.
- Correction of disorders of organism’s systems.
Focus of interest:
In our program, we focus on applying different fields of medical rehabilitation under the research directions mentioned above, and they are:
- Vestibular rehabilitation (balance analysis)
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Neuropsychological rehabilitation (analysis of brain damage and treatment)
- Vision rehabilitation (different cases of vision impairment)
- Cardiac rehabilitation (cardiac resynchronization and prosthetic cardiac devices, such as artificial valves and vessels)
- Respiratory rehabilitation (Pulmonary rehabilitation) and physical rehabilitation (including physiotherapy)
Winter and Summer Schools
To support the students, the Department holds summer and winter schools.
Laboratory classes and practical sessions help students understand how modern achievements of biomechanics, biophysics, electronics, and mechanics are used to develop methods and technical means of medical rehabilitation.
Master’s program graduates can continue their studies at the post-Graduate level in the same department in Devices, systems, and medical products under the program code 12.06.01- Photonics, instrumentation, optical and biotechnical systems, and technologies.
Our department offers our students the opportunity to study in a double degree program and seasonal schools, spend semesters abroad through student exchange at the Technological University of Ilmenau, and attend online lectures by experts from our partners listed below.
University of Pavia, Italy
Tashkent Technical University named after I. Karimov, Uzbekistan
Samarkand State university, Uzbekistan
Tashkent University of Information Technologies named after Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Almazov National Medical Research Centre
Federal Scientific Center for Rehabilitation of Disabled named after G.A.Albrecht
D.O. Ott Research Institute of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductology
Children’s Research and Clinical Center for Infectious Diseases
Graduates of the program successfully work in the field of design, production, and maintenance of medical rehabilitation equipment. They are invited to work in companies to develop and produce rehabilitation products, large medical centers (hospitals, clinics, diagnostic and rehabilitation centers, centers for medical examination of people with disabilities); hence, they build a successful career. In addition, they maintain and improve diagnostic and rehabilitation systems to assess the characteristics and condition of organism’s systems and develop and maintain medical devices and equipment.
The department cooperates with Almazov National Medical Research Center, National Research Institute for Experimental Medicine, and Albrecht National Research Center for Medical Rehabilitation.
LETI is 130 years old and University campus is almost 110 years old. During its history all lecture halls, research laboratories, conference halls, gym halls, libraries and canteens were built by famous architects.
For example, the oldest building on-campus was built in Art Nouveau style in 1903 by A.N. Vekshinsky as a front facade of the University. There is a library with 1.2 million editions including priceless publications presented to the University by Emperor Alexander III, as well as spacious lecture halls and some laboratories.
Memorial Museum of A.S. Popov, the inventor of radio and the first elected director of ETU, is also located on-campus. It includes professor's memorial museum-laboratory and his memorial flat. There is a cozy garden in the court yard where students can have a rest between classes.
LETI can offer a wide variety of canteens for students that suit every taste and budget.
Unique architecture of LETI campus, its conveniences and a good location make student life more comfortable and enjoyable.
The campus of St. Petersburg Electrotechnical University "LETI" consists of 13 buildings located in the historic city center on Aptekarsky Island. The university welcomes its guests with its famous Art Nouveau-style facade, built in 1903.
Thinking of studying with us? Expect to spend between 25 000 and 50 000 RUB per month on living expenses. This includes rent but not tuition fees.
Costs are roughly as follows:
- One visa extension: 1600 RUB a year/semester
- Insurance: one-time payment of 4500 RUB
- dormitory – about 1600 RUB a month
- rented apartment – about 25 000 RUB a month
- Living expenses:
- groceries: 10 000 - 15 000 RUB per month
- social life: 2000 - 5000 RUB per month
- Public transport: about 3100 RUB per month
The Russian ruble (RUB/₽) is the currency of the Russian Federation. 1 ruble is 100 kopeks. Coins in circulation are 1, 5, 10 and 50 kopeks, as well as 1, 2, 5 and 10 rubles. Banknotes in circulation are 10, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000 rubles.
Admission. Step by step
- Every year, our master’s program accepts up to 20 students from Russia and worldwide by both fee-based and scholarships (refer to Open Doors and the Russian Government Scholarships). In addition, waivers are offered by a contest based on achievements.
- Application is open around the year.
- Term of enrollment: Fall term (1st of September).
- English proficiency level is intermediate or higher.
- Applicants are eligible to apply for our program if they have completed their bachelor’s degree or enrolled in the final semester of a bachelor’s program in Science or Engineering such as Bioengineering, Mechanical and Electrical engineering, or any equivalent.
- Recommendation letters are welcomed but not required.
- The first application stage is conducted online through the admission office (contact information is mentioned below). The second stage includes an interview with the program coordinator.
- Copy of the diploma and transcript of records
- Copy of national passport (valid for more than 18 months from the estimated date of arrival)
- Copies of notarized translations into Russian of the passport, diploma and transcript of records
- 6 photos 3x4
- Medical certificates of overall health and HIV tests results
For Master’s Degree programs:
Certificate of English proficiency (for non-native English speakers only) NB! Send documents via email@example.com
For PhD candidates:
- motivation letter
- research topic description
- a list of achievements
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org (email@example.com)
Copy of the diploma
and transcript of records
Copy of national
Copies of notarized
translations into Russian
of the passport, diploma
and transcript of records
6 photos 3x4
|+7 (812) 234-35-53|