Renewable Solar Energy
Master modern solar energy technology and learn the main principles of photovoltaics! While studying at the program, you will gain insight on underlying physical principals and materials science aspects of photovoltaics, solar module development technology, the equipment, design and maintenance of solar power plants.
Master the most cutting-edge field of modern power engineering and build a successful career at international research- and technology-intensive companies!
|Degree Program||11.04.04 Electronics and Nanoelectronics|
|Program starts||1 September|
|Credit Points||120 ECTS|
|Tuition Fees||114 000 RUB/ ~1500 USD per 1 semester|
Why students choose ETU "LETI"
ETU “LETI” is a university with deep historical roots that is famous for its fundamental approach to training. It was established in 1886 and became the first university in Europe to specialize in electrical engineering. Each student can reach out and touch history and even join it.
Go down your own personalized learning path, study in small groups of maximum 15 people (except for Computer Science programs), enjoy the support of your tutor and work directly your research supervisor. The university does all of that to help ETU “LETI” students achieve even the boldest dreams.
No matter what program you are enrolled at, you can take part in academic mobility and apply to double degree programs.
The ETU “LETI” campus is located in the center of Saint Petersburg near the Botanical Garden and Karpovka River Embankment. Many interesting sights are within walking distance. The metro station is 10 minutes away from the campus.
Each program invites overseas professors from world top-ranked universities to share experience and knowledge. These lecturers get engaged in the learning process by holding lectures, workshops and cases.
ETU “LETI” is included in the largest university rankings such as THE, QS, Forbes, The Three University Missions, RAEX, Webometrics, etc. It is also among the leaders in the subject rankings that correspond with its priority research areas. The university prides itself to being the best in graduate employment. 90% of all ETU “LETI” graduates are hired before receiving their degrees.
University researchers have several dozen patents registered every year. The university has 3 research institutes, 16 education and research schools and a Technopark. The Technopark is comprised of the Youth Innovation Center and Technopark Business Incubator.
Upon enrolling at ETU “LETI”, students realize that they are not alone. A team of tutors helps international students adapt and answers their questions. Our staff are in contacted with students almost 24/7 and are always ready to help.
The university considers all-round training of its students a top priority. We have 20 sports groups and 11 creative teams with professional educators at their helm for you to join and unlock your talents. You can also participate in competitions. Moreover, the university organizes theme parties, festivals, free city and suburb tours for its international students.
About the program
The program focuses on the latest trends in the field of renewable energy and photovoltaics. Students get acquainted with underlying physical principals and materials science aspects of photovoltaics, solar module manufacturing technology, the equipment involved in design and maintenance of solar power plants. The curriculum pays special attention to the newest solar cell production technique - HIT (Heterojunction with Intrinsic Thin layer). The curriculum also includes basic, specialized and comprehensive courses. The program has been independently certified and awarded the EUR-ACE® label by the European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education (ENAEE).
- Renewable Energy Sources
- Solar Energy Materials
- Micro- and Nanotechnology Processes
- Optics and Optical Measurements in Solar Energy
- Diagnostics of Solar Energy Materials and Structures
- Solar Cells Based on Organic Materials
- Metrology of Solar Cells and Modules
- Technology of Solar Cells and Modules
- Multijunction Solar Cells Based on AIIIBV Compounds
- Equipment and Automation of Solar Power Stations
- Optical Systems and Components
- Laser Systems
- Laser Technologies in Manufacturing of Solar Modules
- Foreign Language (Russian)
- Microprocessor Technology
- Computer Technology and Simulation in Electronics
- Problems of Modern Electronics
- Foundations of Scientific Research
- Commercialization of Research and Development Results
- Import and Export
Design, Technology and Metrology of Solar Cells and Modules
- Ability to handle novel materials for solar cells and modules;
- Ability to operate modern technological equipment and metrology tools;
- Ability to calculate energy efficiency of solar power stations depending on the landscape.
Curriculum specialized courses, research work and internships.
Thesis Defense June.
Modes of Instruction lectures, seminars and internships
Assessment term theses, pass/fail tests and exams.
The main areas of research at the Photonics Department are the following:
- quantum dot organic LEDs;
- laser and fluorescence emitters based on colloidal nanoparticles;
- solar-blind and visible-blind photodetectors;
- organic solar cells;
- high-performance visible and ultra-violet light emitting diodes (LED);
- production of thin-film silicon carbide solar cells;
- development of multi-junction photovoltaic device structuresand high-performance TCO materials;
- development of modern flexible solar cells with a novel encapsulation technology
- development of processes and equipment for low-cost, wide-scale and high-yield photovoltaic device manufacturing.
Students of the Photonics Department have access to the most modern and complex technological equipment and metrology tools, carry out experiments and gain new skills of operating real metrology devices and technological equipment. Special attention is dedicated to silicon photovoltaics, including the most efficient HIT structures.
Master’s students attend lab classes and carry out research at laboratories of ETU “LETI” partners:
- R&D Center TFTE. TFTE is the research branch of the company Hevel Solar.
- Ioffe Institute. One of the Russia’s biggest research institutes in physics and technology.
- Saint Petersburg National Research Academic University of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Alferov University) is the only University in Russia, which was founded by Nobel Prize laureate in Physics (2000) prof. Zhores Alferov.
Students can apply to various internship programs, including double degree programs. The main international partners of the department are the following:
- Université deTechnologiedeTroyes
- Université de Franche-Comté
- Centrale Supélec
- Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg
- JAMK University of Applied Sciences
- Lappeenranta University of Technology
Republic of Belarus
- Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics
Konoplev Georgiy Asadovich
Pukhova Valentina Mikhailovna
Bobyl Alexander Vasilyevich
Bobyl Alexander Vasilyevich is a specialist in the field of semiconductor physics and photovoltaics, leading researcher at the laboratory of Physical and Chemical Properties of Semiconductors at Ioffe Institute, and visiting professor of Oslo University (Faculty of mathematics and natural sciences, Norwegian Center of Excellence PGP). In 2018 he was awarded the Government Prize of the Russian Federation in the field of science and technology for the creation, industrial development and commercialization of technologies for creating high-performance silicon photovoltaic modules and technologies for building solar power plants in Russian regions (order №2827-p December 18, 2018).
Kamanina Natalia Vladimirovna
Kamanina Natalia Vladimirovna is a specialist in the field of optics and nonlinear optics of condensed matter, head of the Department "Photophysics of Environments with Nanoobjects" at State Optical Institute named after S.I.Vavilov.
Gudovskikh Alexander Sergeevich
Gudovskikh Alexander Sergeevich is a specialist in the field of photovoltaics, leading researcher of the Renewable Energy Laboratory at St. Petersburg National Research Academic University.
Terukov Evgeniy Ivanovich
Terukov Evgeniy Ivanovich is a deputy director for scientific research at R&D CENTER TFTE. In 2018 he was awarded the Government Prize of the Russian Federation in the field of science and technology for the creation, industrial development and commercialization of technologies for creating high-performance silicon photovoltaic modules and technologies for building solar power plants in Russian regions (order №2827-p December 18, 2018).
Tarasov Sergey Anatolievich
Parfenov Vadim Aleksandrovich
Korolev Vitaly Vyacheslavovich
Terukova Ekaterina Eugenievna
Nikitin Andrey Alexandrovich
Graduates of the Master’s program have successful careers in the field of solar energy. They find employment in thin-film solar cell manufacturing, as well as solar power station design.
Continue your research and build your career with ETU “LETI”! Master’s program graduates can continue their study at the Post-Graduate level. You can study in English at the Optical and Optoelectronic Devices and Systems program (Degree Program 12.06.01 - Photonics, Instrumentation, Optical and Biotechnical Systems and Technologies).
LETI is 130 years old and University campus is almost 110 years old. During its history all lecture halls, research laboratories, conference halls, gym halls, libraries and canteens were built by famous architects.
For example, the oldest building on-campus was built in Art Nouveau style in 1903 by A.N. Vekshinsky as a front facade of the University. There is a library with 1.2 million editions including priceless publications presented to the University by Emperor Alexander III, as well as spacious lecture halls and some laboratories.
Memorial Museum of A.S. Popov, the inventor of radio and the first elected director of ETU, is also located on-campus. It includes professor's memorial museum-laboratory and his memorial flat. There is a cozy garden in the court yard where students can have a rest between classes.
LETI can offer a wide variety of canteens for students that suit every taste and budget.
Unique architecture of LETI campus, its conveniences and a good location make student life more comfortable and enjoyable.
The campus of St. Petersburg Electrotechnical University "LETI" consists of 13 buildings located in the historic city center on Aptekarsky Island. The university welcomes its guests with its famous Art Nouveau-style facade, built in 1903.
Thinking of studying with us? Expect to spend between 25 000 and 50 000 RUB per month on living expenses. This includes rent but not tuition fees.
Costs are roughly as follows:
- One visa extension: 1600 RUB a year/semester
- Insurance: one-time payment of 4500 RUB
- dormitory – about 1600 RUB a month
- rented apartment – about 25 000 RUB a month
- Living expenses:
- groceries: 10 000 - 15 000 RUB per month
- social life: 2000 - 5000 RUB per month
- Public transport: about 3100 RUB per month
The Russian ruble (RUB/₽) is the currency of the Russian Federation. 1 ruble is 100 kopeks. Coins in circulation are 1, 5, 10 and 50 kopeks, as well as 1, 2, 5 and 10 rubles. Banknotes in circulation are 10, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000 rubles.
For English-taught master’s degree
Candidates must hold a Bachelor's Degree, preferably in an engineering-related field
Application. Step by step.
- Choose the program
- Check the required documents and deadlines
- Fill in an Application Form: priem.etu.ru
- Send the scanned copies of the documents via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wait for the confirmation letter
Choose the program
Check the required
documents and deadlines
Fill in an Application Form:
Send the scanned copies
of the documents via
Wait for the
- Copy of the diploma and transcript of records
- Copy of national passport (valid for more than 18 months from the estimated date of arrival)
- Copies of notarized translations into Russian of the passport, diploma and transcript of records
- 6 photos 3x4
- Medical certificates of overall health and HIV tests results
For Master’s Degree programs:
Certificate of English proficiency (for non-native English speakers only) NB! Send documents via email@example.com
For PhD candidates:
- motivation letter
- research topic description
- a list of achievements
Copy of the diploma
and transcript of records
Copy of national
Copies of notarized
translations into Russian
of the passport, diploma
and transcript of records
6 photos 3x4
|Mon.-Fri.: 10:00-17:00 (admission 10:00-16:30)|
|197376, Russian Federation, St. Petersburg, Professora Popova str., 5, building 3, 4th floor (room 3418)|
|+7 (812) 234-35-53|