Gain expertise in quantum electronics and become a sought-after world-class expert in research and development of modern laser technologies, laser measuring devices and systems.
Students learn to develop laser devices and systems based on the latest achievements of quantum electronics, holography and interferometry. Master’s students can apply for double degree programs.
|Degree Program||12.04.01 Instrumentation Technology|
|Program starts||1 September|
|Credit Points||120 ECTS|
|Tuition Fees||110 000 RUB/ ~1500 USD per 1 semester|
Why students choose ETU "LETI"
ETU “LETI” is a university with deep historical roots that is famous for its fundamental approach to training. It was established in 1886 and became the first university in Europe to specialize in electrical engineering. Each student can reach out and touch history and even join it.
Go down your own personalized learning path, study in small groups of maximum 15 people (except for Computer Science programs), enjoy the support of your tutor and work directly your research supervisor. The university does all of that to help ETU “LETI” students achieve even the boldest dreams.
No matter what program you are enrolled at, you can take part in academic mobility and apply to double degree programs.
The ETU “LETI” campus is located in the center of Saint Petersburg near the Botanical Garden and Karpovka River Embankment. Many interesting sights are within walking distance. The metro station is 10 minutes away from the campus.
Each program invites overseas professors from world top-ranked universities to share experience and knowledge. These lecturers get engaged in the learning process by holding lectures, workshops and cases.
ETU “LETI” is included in the largest university rankings such as THE, QS, Forbes, The Three University Missions, RAEX, Webometrics, etc. It is also among the leaders in the subject rankings that correspond with its priority research areas. The university prides itself to being the best in graduate employment. 90% of all ETU “LETI” graduates are hired before receiving their degrees.
University researchers have several dozen patents registered every year. The university has 3 research institutes, 16 education and research schools and a Technopark. The Technopark is comprised of the Youth Innovation Center and Technopark Business Incubator.
Upon enrolling at ETU “LETI”, students realize that they are not alone. A team of tutors helps international students adapt and answers their questions. Our staff are in contacted with students almost 24/7 and are always ready to help.
The university considers all-round training of its students a top priority. We have 20 sports groups and 11 creative teams with professional educators at their helm for you to join and unlock your talents. You can also participate in competitions. Moreover, the university organizes theme parties, festivals, free city and suburb tours for its international students.
About the program
The Master’s program mainly focuses on technologies for developing laser and quantum-based electronic devices and systems. Quantum electronic devices have a variety of unique characteristics combined in them (high coherence, achromatism, high stability and wavelength resettability, high directivity and capability to deliver large amounts of energy to a small space). This is a key factor that leads to breakthroughs in measuring technology, optics, recording and transfer of data, environment monitoring, material processing, medicine and biology. While studying, Master's students can learn about these technologies in a lot of detail and become very successful in the fields of science and technology mentioned before.
- Wave Optics
- Optical Systems and Components
- Optical and Laser Materials
- Laser Physics
- Laser Engineering
- Laser and Optical Characterization of Materials
- Laser Diodes and Optoelectronics
- Laser Radiation Control
- Fiber and Integrated Optics
Basic Specialized Module
- Laser Engineering
- Laser Measuring Systems
- Laser Systems
- Laser Technologies in Industry
- Lasers in Navigation Systems
- Laser Technologies in Enviromental Monitoring, Biomedicine and Agriculture
- Interdisciplinary Project "Development and Design of Laser Measuring Devices and Systems"
- Foreign Language
- Social Communication in Professional Environment
- Information Technologies in Instrumentation
- History of Science and Engineering in Instrumentation
- Commercialization of Results of Scientific Research and Development
- Modern Problems of Electronics and Microprocessor Systems in Instrument Making
Design, develop, produce and operate laser measuring technologies of various complexity levels.
Thesis Defense June
Modes of Instruction lectures, seminars and internships (supervised research; the supervisor decides on the research topic in the beginning of the first semester)
Assessment term theses, pass/fail tests and exams
The shares of internship and lecture/seminar hours are equal in the first three semesters. However, in the fourth semester, there are no lectures and seminars. All the academic hours are dedicated to research and Master’s thesis.
Research is carried out at laboratories of two departments – the Department of Laser Measurement and Navigation Systems and the Department of Photonics, as well as laboratories of university partners. Among research supervisors are university professors and research staff, staff of partner institutions.
The program infrastructure and resources:
- Adaptive optics systems, Fizeau interferometer, laser and optical fiber gyros, liquid-crystal cell, etc.
- High-precision angular displacement measurement systems for both static and dynamic modes;
- Laboratory classes in laser systems learning how to use a laser goniometer, laser anemometer, etc.
Master’s students take internships both at the university with university professors and at partner institutions with their staff. The university cooperates with such institutions as JSC LOMO, Mendeleev Metrology Institute, Vavilov State Optical Institute, Small Enterprise Laser Physics, etc.
Examples of Research
- Principles of Holographic Projection Display
- Script Development for Modeling Automation of Whispering Gallery Modes
- Accuracy Increase Methods for Laser Goniometric Systems
- Accuracy of 3D Laser Scanning
- Principles of Adaptive Optical Systems
- Principles of Holographic Wavefront Sensors
- Methods for Laser Gyroscope Performance Analysis
- Methods for Analyzing Optical Connection to Reflecting Faces in Goniometry
- Laser Scanners in Rail Profile Control
- Seismic Signal Identification in the Output of Large Ring Laser Gyros
Students can apply for short-term (2-4 weeks) and long-term (6-10 months) internships, including double-degree programs. The key international partners of the department are the following:
- Ilmenau University of Technology
- Leibniz University of Hannover
- Lappeenranta University of Technology
- Technical University of Sofia
- Technical University of Liberec
- The Technical University of Munich (TUM), Germany
- Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (РТВ, Braunschweig)
- Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany
- Fundamental geophysical station, Wettzel, Germany
- Daimler AG, Germany
- D.I.Mendeleyev Institute for Metrology
Yuri V. Filatov
Head of the Program
Deputy head of Laser Measurement and Navigation Systems department
Disciplines: Wave optics, Fiber and Integrated Optics
Alexander A. Sevriugin
Master Program coordinator
Assistant, Laser Measurement and Navigation Systems Department
Vladimir Y. Venediktov
Dr.Sc, Professor, Laser Measurement and Navigation Systems Department
Discipline: Laser Technique, Laser Radiation Control, Optical Systems and Components
Petr A. Pavlov
Dr.Sc, Professor, Laser Measurement and Navigation Systems Department
Discipline: Optoelectronics, Laser Measuring Systems
Vadim A. Parfenov
Dr.Sc, Associate Professor, Laser Measurement and Navigation Systems Department
Discipline: Laser Systems
Alexander A. Velikoseltsev
Ph.D., Associate Professor, Laser Measurement and Navigation Systems Department
Discipline: Laser And Fiber Optic Technologies In Navigation Systems
Graduates of the Master’s program are qualified enough to design new equipment and carry out research for a living. As students, they get used to working with modern laser equipment, learn how to carry out research while designing novel laser systems. Due to this, graduates of the Master’s program are much more likely to be hired at research institutes and enterprises.
Program graduates become successful in the field of laser technologies and are employed at both Russian and international companies such as:
- JSC LOMO
- Mendeleev Metrology Institute
- Vavilov State Optical Institute
- Small Enterprise Laser Physics
Continue your research and build your career with ETU “LETI”! The majority of graduates continue their study by enrolling at PhD programs of European universities and companies.
LETI is 130 years old and University campus is almost 110 years old. During its history all lecture halls, research laboratories, conference halls, gym halls, libraries and canteens were built by famous architects.
For example, the oldest building on-campus was built in Art Nouveau style in 1903 by A.N. Vekshinsky as a front facade of the University. There is a library with 1.2 million editions including priceless publications presented to the University by Emperor Alexander III, as well as spacious lecture halls and some laboratories.
Memorial Museum of A.S. Popov, the inventor of radio and the first elected director of ETU, is also located on-campus. It includes professor's memorial museum-laboratory and his memorial flat. There is a cozy garden in the court yard where students can have a rest between classes.
LETI can offer a wide variety of canteens for students that suit every taste and budget.
Unique architecture of LETI campus, its conveniences and a good location make student life more comfortable and enjoyable.
The campus of St. Petersburg Electrotechnical University "LETI" consists of 13 buildings located in the historic city center on Aptekarsky Island. The university welcomes its guests with its famous Art Nouveau-style facade, built in 1903.
Thinking of studying with us? Expect to spend between 25 000 and 50 000 RUB per month on living expenses. This includes rent but not tuition fees.
Costs are roughly as follows:
- One visa extension: 1600 RUB a year/semester
- Insurance: one-time payment of 4500 RUB
- dormitory – about 1600 RUB a month
- rented apartment – about 25 000 RUB a month
- Living expenses:
- groceries: 10 000 - 15 000 RUB per month
- social life: 2000 - 5000 RUB per month
- Public transport: about 3100 RUB per month
The Russian ruble (RUB/₽) is the currency of the Russian Federation. 1 ruble is 100 kopeks. Coins in circulation are 1, 5, 10 and 50 kopeks, as well as 1, 2, 5 and 10 rubles. Banknotes in circulation are 10, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000 rubles.
For English-taught master’s degree
Candidates must hold a Bachelor's Degree, preferably in an engineering-related field
Application. Step by step.
- Choose the program
- Check the required documents and deadlines
- Fill in an Application Form: priem.etu.ru
- Send the scanned copies of the documents via email@example.com
- Wait for the confirmation letter
Choose the program
Check the required
documents and deadlines
Fill in an Application Form:
Send the scanned copies
of the documents via
Wait for the
- Copy of the diploma and transcript of records
- Copy of national passport (valid for more than 18 months from the estimated date of arrival)
- Copies of notarized translations into Russian of the passport, diploma and transcript of records
- 6 photos 3x4
- Medical certificates of overall health and HIV tests results
For Master’s Degree programs:
Certificate of English proficiency (for non-native English speakers only) NB! Send documents via firstname.lastname@example.org
For PhD candidates:
- motivation letter
- research topic description
- a list of achievements
Copy of the diploma
and transcript of records
Copy of national
Copies of notarized
translations into Russian
of the passport, diploma
and transcript of records
6 photos 3x4
|Mon.-Fri.: 10:00-17:00 (admission 10:00-16:30)|
|197376, Russian Federation, St. Petersburg, Professora Popova str., 5, building 3, 4th floor (room 3418)|
|+7 (812) 234-35-53|
|International Students Office|