Automation and Mechatronics
Learn about modern robotics and mechatronics, master the automatic control theory and become a sought-after specialist in robotic systems and industrial automation.
Preferences for students
- Our university can offer you grant on a competitive basis, which partially covers the tuition fee (from 1 semester).
- You can also receive travel grant on a competitive basis for participation in the academic mobility program, covering the full or part of the cost of tickets to get to your destination.
- Masters of English-language programs also have access to short-term courses that improve their qualifications under preferential terms.
|Degree Program||27.04.04 Control in Technical Systems|
|Program starts||1 September|
|Credit Points||120 ECTS|
|Tuition Fee||131 000 RUB for the 1st semester|
Why students choose ETU "LETI"
ETU “LETI” is a university with deep historical roots that is famous for its fundamental approach to training. It was established in 1886 and became the first university in Europe to specialize in electrical engineering. Each student can reach out and touch history and even join it.
Go down your own personalized learning path, study in small groups of maximum 15 people (except for Computer Science programs), enjoy the support of your tutor and work directly your research supervisor. The university does all of that to help ETU “LETI” students achieve even the boldest dreams.
No matter what program you are enrolled at, you can take part in academic mobility and apply to double degree programs.
The ETU “LETI” campus is located in the center of Saint Petersburg near the Botanical Garden and Karpovka River Embankment. Many interesting sights are within walking distance. The metro station is 10 minutes away from the campus.
Each program invites overseas professors from world top-ranked universities to share experience and knowledge. These lecturers get engaged in the learning process by holding lectures, workshops and cases.
ETU “LETI” is included in the largest university rankings such as THE, QS, Forbes, The Three University Missions, RAEX, Webometrics, etc. It is also among the leaders in the subject rankings that correspond with its priority research areas. The university prides itself to being the best in graduate employment. 90% of all ETU “LETI” graduates are hired before receiving their degrees.
University researchers have several dozen patents registered every year. The university has 3 research institutes, 16 education and research schools and a Technopark. The Technopark is comprised of the Youth Innovation Center and Technopark Business Incubator.
Upon enrolling at ETU “LETI”, students realize that they are not alone. A team of tutors helps international students adapt and answers their questions. Our staff are in contacted with students almost 24/7 and are always ready to help.
The university considers all-round training of its students a top priority. We have 20 sports groups and 11 creative teams with professional educators at their helm for you to join and unlock your talents. You can also participate in competitions. Moreover, the university organizes theme parties, festivals, free city and suburb tours for its international students.
About the program
The program is dedicated to robotics and mechatronics, mechatronics and robotic actuators, as well as modern applications of microcontrollers. The program provides students with deep knowledge of state-of-the-art automatic control theory, most notably analysis and design of nonlinear, adaptive and intelligent control systems.
You will learn about:
- network technologies
- SCADA systems
- applications of real-time systems
- electrical drive design
- robot design (manipulator robots, self-propelled mobile platforms).
- Nonlinear, Adaptive and Intelligent Control Systems
- Modern Methods of Control Theory
- Modeling and Synthesis of Nonlinear Elements
- Mathematical Modeling of Objects and Automatic Control Systems
- Adaptive Control in Mechatronics and Robotics
- Electric and Hydraulic Drives of Mechatronic and Robotic Systems
- Computer-Based Technologies of Control in Technical System
- Mechatronic Systems and Robotics
- Systems for Ensuring Safety of Technical Control Devices
- Electromechatronic Complexes and Systems
- Microcontroller-Based Control Systems
- Foreign Language (Russian)
- Social Communication in Professional Environment
- Energy Management
- History of Science and Technology in the Field of Technical Systems
Students take additional module courses taught by invited professors from the USA and Finland:
- Mathematical Optimization in Technical Systems
- Robotics System Design
Our graduates have advanced expertise and skills in the following areas: modeling, prototyping, PLC and microcontroller programming, analysis and development of original technological solutions, design of diagnostics systems, predictions, computer vision systems, automation and design of modern control systems.
Thesis Defense June
Modes of Instruction lectures, seminars and internships
Assessment term theses, pass/fail tests and exams
The Automatic Control Systems Department has several student laboratories for the following areas of research:
- Industrial control systems and automation
- Mechatronic moving object systems and mobile airfield service equipment
- Automatic ship control systems
- Information and telecommunication technologies
- Siemens Automation and Drives
The department has a resource center Control and Automation of Mechatronic Complexes of Moving Objects and Transport Systems that unites several laboratories:
- Multifunctional research facilities with virtual instrumentation (National Instruments Lab)
- Microcontroller adaptive control systems lab
- Industrial electromechanical objects lab
The department carries out extensive research in such industries as mechatronics and robotic systems, modern civil technology (industrial automation), electric power industry, remote diagnostics and control technology and vessel electrification and automation.
The department is especially proud of its mobile robotics. An ETU “LETI” team called MadDrive won the national competition PROFEST-2018, Russian Technology Fest (the largest robotics and high tech event in Europe) and RoboCross, an annual field testing event for mobile robots.
Students can apply for short-term (2-4 weeks) and long-term (6-10 months) internships, including double-degree programs. The key international partners of the department are the following:
- Technische Universität Ilmenau,
- Leibniz Universität Hannover,
- Fachhochschule Stralsund - University of Applied Science
- Padeborn University
- Lappeenranta University of Technology
- Aalto University
- Tampere University
- University of Technology of Compiegne
- Ostfold University College
- Research Institute of Electrical Communication Tohoku University
- Ritsumeikan University
- Beijing Institute of Technology BIT
- National Taichung University of Education
- Technical University Sofia
- Bismark Singh, Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin (QS World University Rankings – 63, Times Higer Education World University Rankings – 39);
- Jani Heikkinen, D.Sc., Aalto University (QS World University Rankings – 201-250, Times Higher Education World University Rankings – 181);
- Tatiana Minav, D.Sc., Aalto University (QS World University Rankings – 201-250, Times Higher Education World University Rankings – 181).
Due to the expertise acquired, program graduates have no problem with finding employment in Russia or internationally. Both graduates of the English-taught program and the department at large are employed at leading international (Siemens, Bosch, Schlumberger, Kawasaki, etc.) and Russian (Gazprom, Rosneft, Power Machines, etc.) companies.
They work at the largest companies of Ecuador, Brazil, Nigeria, Kenia, Tanzania, Egypt, India, China, Germany, Finland, Spain, Iran and Indonesia.
Continue your research and build your career with ETU “LETI”. All graduates of the Master’s program can continue their research at ETU “LETI” or enroll at a partner university.
You can enroll at the following PhD-level programs:
- Electrical and Thermal Engineering
- Computer Systems Engineering and Informatics
When a student is enrolled at a PhD program, he or she can be hired as an assistant or engineer. As such, he or she can teach and do research at the laboratories of the department or faculty.
Program graduates can also enroll at PhD programs at partner universities:
- Tampere University
- Leibniz Universität Hannover
LETI is 130 years old and University campus is almost 110 years old. During its history all lecture halls, research laboratories, conference halls, gym halls, libraries and canteens were built by famous architects.
For example, the oldest building on-campus was built in Art Nouveau style in 1903 by A.N. Vekshinsky as a front facade of the University. There is a library with 1.2 million editions including priceless publications presented to the University by Emperor Alexander III, as well as spacious lecture halls and some laboratories.
Memorial Museum of A.S. Popov, the inventor of radio and the first elected director of ETU, is also located on-campus. It includes professor's memorial museum-laboratory and his memorial flat. There is a cozy garden in the court yard where students can have a rest between classes.
LETI can offer a wide variety of canteens for students that suit every taste and budget.
Unique architecture of LETI campus, its conveniences and a good location make student life more comfortable and enjoyable.
The campus of St. Petersburg Electrotechnical University "LETI" consists of 13 buildings located in the historic city center on Aptekarsky Island. The university welcomes its guests with its famous Art Nouveau-style facade, built in 1903.
Thinking of studying with us? Expect to spend between 25 000 and 50 000 RUB per month on living expenses. This includes rent but not tuition fees.
Costs are roughly as follows:
- One visa extension: 1600 RUB a year/semester
- Insurance: 5500 RUB per year
- dormitory – about 2500 RUB a month
- rented apartment – about 25 000 RUB a month
- Living expenses:
- groceries: 10 000 - 15 000 RUB per month
- social life: 2000 - 5000 RUB per month
- Public transport: about 1500 RUB per month
The Russian ruble (RUB/₽) is the currency of the Russian Federation. 1 ruble is 100 kopeks. Coins in circulation are 1, 5, 10 and 50 kopeks, as well as 1, 2, 5 and 10 rubles. Banknotes in circulation are 10, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000 rubles.
Admission. Step by step
- Every year, our master’s program accepts up to 20 students from Russia and worldwide by both fee-based and scholarships (refer to Open Doors and the Russian Government Scholarships). In addition, waivers are offered by a contest based on achievements.
- Application is open around the year.
- Term of enrollment: Fall term (1st of September).
- English proficiency level is intermediate or higher.
- Applicants are eligible to apply for our program if they have completed their bachelor’s degree or enrolled in the final semester of a bachelor’s program in Science or Engineering such as Bioengineering, Mechanical and Electrical engineering, or any equivalent.
- Recommendation letters are welcomed but not required.
- The first application stage is conducted online through the admission office (contact information is mentioned below). The second stage includes an interview with the program coordinator.
- Copy of the diploma and transcript of records
- Copy of national passport (valid for more than 18 months from the estimated date of arrival)
- Copies of notarized translations into Russian of the passport, diploma and transcript of records
- 6 photos 3x4
- Medical certificates of overall health and HIV tests results
For Master’s Degree programs:
Certificate of English proficiency (for non-native English speakers only) NB! Send documents via email@example.com
For PhD candidates:
- motivation letter
- research topic description
- a list of achievements
Copy of the diploma
and transcript of records
Copy of national
Copies of notarized
translations into Russian
of the passport, diploma
and transcript of records
6 photos 3x4
|Пн. - Пт. 10:00-17:00 (приемная комиссия 10:00-16:30)|
|+7 (812) 234-35-53|
|VK Facebook Instagram|