The Vector Research Institute JSC is the oldest radio engineering and radio electronics company in Russia that fulfills orders from Russian federal ministries and agencies, academies of sciences, and universities for research, development, and production of equipment in the following areas of radio engineering and radio electronics:
- physics of propagation of electromagnetic waves, taking into account the influence of various natural and artificial geophysical factors (earthquakes, thunderstorms, eclipses, etc.);
- reception of radio signals at network nodes, completing equipment for mobile and stationary communication nodes;
- electromagnetic radiation monitoring , finding a direction and location of its sources, processing of received signals in stationary, mobile, marine, aerospace and portable versions;
- acoustic monitoring;
- testing of radio-electronic equipment in the entire frequency range;
- application of electronic devices for economic and technical monitoring, medical diagnostics, etc;
- microminiaturization of components of radio-electronic devices;
- automated data collection on the state of electric power, water networks and firefighting appliances in the housing and communal services sector.
The developed hardware can be functionally used for the purposes of:
- searching for distressed mobile objects equipped with signal transmitters;
- collection of statistical data on the load of certain frequency bands;
- monitoring communication security, compliance with regulations and communication protocols, etc.
The main task of the basic department is the targeted training of senior students of the Faculty of Radio Engineering and Telecommunications of ETU "LETI" in the development of complex systems and complexes of special radio electronics for their successful work at the Vector Research Institute after graduation.
The long-term scientific and industrial relations between LETI and the Vector Research Institute, the ongoing joint research work, the presence of a large number of LETI graduates working at the company and the high quality of their training, the territorial proximity of LETI and the Vector Research Institute played an important role in the establishment of the department.
Since 1998, the basic department has been headed by the General Director of the Vector Research Institute Oleg Petkau.
Classes are conducted by highly qualified specialists of the Vector Research Institute, leading developments in various areas of radio electronics. Students undergo practical training in the divisions of the company using modern instrumentation and special hardware and software.
Many young specialists trained at the basic department are now successfully working at the company. Some of them are in charge of scientific and technical divisions and R&D.