The "Linguistics" program conducts specialists training in the field of interlingual and intercultural communication which gives graduates an opportunity to find employment in various occupational areas.
Information for applicants
|Forms of training
and quantity of places
|Part-time (evening), contract – 63 places|
|Period of study||4 years + 2 years under Master's degree program|
|Graduating faculties||Faculty of Humanities|
|Passing score||The Russian language - 60, Social studies - 50, English - 60|
- Education is conducted at the intersection of several areas of the humanities, and as a consequence students receive interdisciplinary training;
- Training is conducted using modern methods and technologies;
- Students take internships at Russian and international companies of St. Petersburg: travel agencies, commercial organizations and management structures. They work at exhibitions, international economic forums and so on.
The main subjects
- The Basics of Linguistics;
- Theoretical Grammar;
- Theoretical Phonetics;
- Ancient Languages and Cultures;
- History of English;
- The Basic Theory of Intercultural Communication;
- Thebasic Theory of Translation;
- Practical English Course;
- Second Foreign Language (Practical German/French);
- Practice of Translation;
- Country Studies;
- Humanities and Social Sciences (Philosophy, Cultural Studies, Sociology, Psychology, History, Foreign Literature, etc.);
- Information Technology in Linguistics.
- Classrooms are equipped with modern equipment and multimedia;
- Computer classes are available for students;
- Students can visit libraries and reading rooms;
- There are cafes, canteens, ATMs, payment terminals on campus of ETU “LETI”.
International internships and training
- Semester-length internships at Dresden University of Technology;
- Summer language school at University of Bedfordshire.
Your future career
Graduates are able to perform the following types of professional activity:
- Advisory and communicative work: participation in business negotiations, conferences, symposia, seminars using several working languages; use of conflict situations resolution tactics in the field of intercultural communication;
- Research work: identification and critical analysis of specific problems of intercultural communication and translation that influence effectiveness of intercultural and interlingual contacts.
Graduates have an opportunity to work at information, analytical and translation departments of Russian and international companies, at higher education institutions, research and cultural institutions, administrative and commercial structures. Graduates can also continue their education at Master’s and Postgraduate level programs.
Cooperation agreements are signed with
- St. Petersburg Association for International Cooperation;
- St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce and Industry;
- EGO Translating Company;
- Museum of the History of St. Petersburg;
- City Tourist Information Office (St. Petersburg);
- University of Bedfordshire (United Kingdom);
- University of Warsaw;
- University of Mons (Belgium).
Linguistics students make presentations at research-to-practice conferences organized by the Department of Foreign Languages. Conferences are held in the framework of the "Palette of Languages and Cultures" and "Current Problems of Modern Linguistics" Forums. Conference material is published in special collections.
Linguistics students take part in the student research work competition on the subject of creating a tolerant environment in St. Petersburg. The competition is held by the Committee for Science and Higher Education of St. Petersburg.
- Under the guidance of the lecturers from the department, linguistics students co-hold a "The Palette of Languages and Cultures" annual forum together with international students of LETI to celebrate the International Day of Tolerance. The forum highlights various aspects of society in an intercultural context.
- Linguistics students hold theme nights: a Shakespeare night, a multilingual poetry night.
|Mon.-Fri.: 10:00-17:00 (admission 10:00-16:30)|
|197376, Russian Federation, St. Petersburg, Professora Popova str., 5, building 3, 4th floor (room 3418)|
|+7 (812) 234-35-53|